other bits of blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

grow

Alana is away, so my dad and I picked up Sadie and Rosie today. We surprised them by stopping by at the Tyringham Playground, with a tire swing, a mini train, slides, and basically everything that a pair of five- and six-year-olds could ask for.
§
..."Rosie! Come one, let's go to the train!" yelled Sadie, racing down the playground. "Maia, where do we sit?"
"In the back passenger car," I answered as they ran toward it.
"You drive," Rosie ordered. "Chugga-chugga-chugga!!" They both bounced up and down.
"Look, Rosie, look at the slide!" Sadie pointed out the two-person, sliver slide.
"Slide?" Rosie was astonished. "Slide? Yay!"
They slid to the bottom, yelling for me to watch, about seven times. Then Sadie exclaimed that she wanted to swing. But when she ran to the swing set, she noticed the tire swing. "Chris, push me!" she said to my dad. He walked over and pulled the swing way up, then pushed it away from him, spinning it at the same time.
"Weeeeeeee!"
"What's Sadie doing?" Rosie asked.
"She's on the tire swing."
"Tire swing? I wanna go, too!" Rosie yelled.
They spun and spun until they were too dizzy to act normally. But then again, how are two five- and six-year-olds normal? They screamed and laughed, wanting it faster one minute, then protesting that my dad was pushing too fast and they wanted "no more".
When we drove home, they suddenly became somewhat sophisticated and proper. But I could tell they were just tired. Not for long...

§

That made me think of a poem I wrote about Sadie and Rosie, during a time when they were making a cardboard castle, and Rosie stole Sadie's crayon. They screamed, and—I’ll just show you.


Castle of Changes
Crayons whirring across cardboard
Sisters arguing
Taunts
A stolen crayon
Nothing in my eyes
Something in theirs
Then a return
And a smile
A dance

It was a cardboard castle
The younger sister stole a crayon
The older one threatened
The younger one gave
Only to turn away and find her own
Smiling, happy
The two forget all
They turn and dance and hum
Holding hands

Crayons whirring across cardboard
Sisters arguing
Taunts
A stolen crayon
Nothing in my eyes
Something in theirs
Then a return
And a smile
A dance

If only it was like this
In the real world
Arguments forgotten
Anger gone
Returning
And making your own choice
This is what we need
A way to smile

Crayons whirring across cardboard
Sisters arguing
Taunts
A stolen crayon
Nothing in my eyes
Something in theirs
Then a return
And a smile
A dance

Then we got home, and they went onto the the hill across from my house, and they became little kids again.

Sadie hugged a tree to say hello.
Rosie found a milkweed pod. Fascinating!
And they marched back home.
Somehow, when we got to my door, there were snowdrops growing from the dusty leaves. There was growth everywhere, in the buds on the trees, in the tiny flowers, in the warmth of the sun, and in me, Sadie, and Rosie. They seemed so grown-up, so old. It was hard to believe they are only five and six...almost seven. And it was hard to believe that I will turn 12 so soon.
Even in this season, the season of growing, this afternoon proved that there is always time to slip out of your body and become little again. There is always time to change.

3 comments:

  1. Fun! six year olds are wonderful... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya they r and i know sadie loves me like somtyhing

    ReplyDelete
  3. madi- yes sadie does love you i told you that we would have a playd8 soon and she said, "so tehn we will see madi! yayayay!" it was so cute

    kenzy- well...i'm not sure. :) rosie just turned five, and she is THE most loving, caring, sweet person i have ever seen. but sadie...she's a bit of a...world revolves around me sort, but thats just my experience. :)

    randomly- supercalifragilisticexpialidocious suoicodilaipxecitsiligarfilacrepus

    hee heee

    ReplyDelete