other bits of blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

jump

Yesterday, I went canoeing. Yesterday, there were pictures of the water to take and snowflake-like flowers to smell. Reflections stood out to me like a bright pink sun in the middle of a clear blue sky. I needed to photograph them. Yesterday the hot weather was enough to make me jump into literally melted ice water and almost have a heart attack...But I was alright.
Yes, yesterday will hold memories for me. Lying down in the heat of a summer night and watching the International Space Station fly overhead. Finding a steep path by the pond I was canoeing in and discovering a secret place, complete with a river and a big waterfall from a dam. Yesterday makes me think of tall, blue people with tails as I watched Avatar for the second time. Yesterday was having breakfast with friends at a brook. Yesterday was seaweed rippling in dark water and yesterday was eating an apple as I sat in a canoe, shivering under a towel. Yesterday was. It just was.
And the days go by so fast that you don't even know they're gone. They just whiz over the treetops like a plane while you barely even have a chance to board them. You go to sleep in the dead of winter and wake up when the flowers are blooming and the weather is rising in temperature. You know nothing about what happened the day before or how old you are or even the month.
But there are the memories that hold you and how you hold the memories. There are those little seemingly insignificant moments that make up life. One sunset. The way your best friend looks at you after a fight. Finishing a story. Hugging someone. Watching something or someone slowly grow until you have to let them go.
You can never undo these moments or redo them. They are things that twirl around and stop in front of your nose for one second, then spin away to the wind. They never end up the same twice.
These seconds, these moments, these little memories are what makes you who you are. So don't try to forget them. The sad times and the good ones. We can't forget.
There are steps we have to take and roads we have to cross. People we must let go of and friends that we will never see again. There are choices that we have to make and things that we must keep in our hearts because they will never be the same again.
Which reminds me, I have a little poem about choices that I have to show you.

Anchor


Dig down deep
Think
Hesitate
Wonder, don’t just go
It will get you into trouble
So stop yourself
Before you judge
Get evidence
No one is the same on the outside
But on the inside, we all are


So build an anchor
Dig down deep
And when the ship leaves harbor
Leaving one trunk
One passenger behind
You are wrong
Build an anchor
And think before hoisting it


When you are asked a question
That you’re not sure of
Stick to your anchor
The rocking of the waves
Check your belongings
And answer
Follow what you know to be true
You can’t turn around
What you choose stays with you
Always


So build an anchor
Dig down deep
And when the ship leaves harbor
Leaving one trunk
One passenger behind
You are wrong
Build an anchor
And think before hoisting it


No uncertainty of your choice
Just bury your body in the sand
Form a barrier from lies
And paths that take you
The wrong way
You know in your heart
And your mind
That you must do nothing but dig
Dig down deep
And build an anchor

Memories are something that happen only once in a lifetime. Sometimes all you do is hold on to the slightest thing that gives you joy. Anything. And sometimes all you can do is take a chance, and jump.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god. Your poem made me cry, since we JUST had our last rehearsal with tis year's eighth graders, and it was really sad. I felt like you read my mind! You wrote JUST how I was feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maia! I have remade you button! I'm so so sorry it disapeared! I'm not sure what happened because others disapeared too. I've posted the code on Meilin Designs.

    In Christ,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clark-wow...i made you cry??? now i feel really weird...:) maybe i am phsycic (is that how you spell it???)

    Emily-thank you so much! i love it

    ReplyDelete