other bits of blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

yours

Today, I have a challenge for you. This one isn't from the book. It's just a little...me.
I wrote this poem.
Bidding Farewell
Follow the sun
Stop the coming of the night
And as the moon fights for a place on stage
Your world falls silent
The moon soothes them
Lulls them to sleep like a mother
Rocking her child
But my friend is the sun
The rising, bright, sweet sun
That tells the world that day has come again
There is no need to sleep anymore
But I don’t, anyway
I stay awake
Alert for the trace when I can embrace her once more
And old friend
So I sit at my window
Waiting
Waiting
Lost and lonely
The moon is a lovely thing
But sometimes all I want
Is for the sun to rise up over the hills
To greet my cheerful, smiling face
I jump up and leap outside
Bidding farewell to the moon
And saying, “Hello,” to the sun
And my challenge for you is to write a poem about the night. Not just, 'the night', but how you feel as you drift off to sleep. If you have trouble sleeping, if you sleep as your head hits the pillow, if you wander outside in the warm summer air with the stars above you. What do you do? How do you feel? Pay attention tonight. If you want to, maybe even take pictures of the sunset, or the stars.
Then write a poem.

No, you don't have to be a writer to write a poem. Just type, scribble, six or seven lines. It's a poem. And they don't have to make sense, poetry is something that doesn't. It's a metaphor, and that's what's beautiful about it.
I only have a couple...regulations...for you. The poem must:
• be about night.
• be at least seven lines long.
• include the words silent, mother, window, and cheerful.
Otherwise, make this yours!

As you can see, this isn't one of my long posts, but I'm counting on you to make it longer. Seriously...this post isn't just me, it's you. Email me at
aia
maysv@gmail.com
with your poems. I want this to really work, so please email me within a week. When I get a poem, I'll post it up here, and the world can read your work!
Come on, do it. Don't be afraid.
Untitled
The shining full moon
above my window
bids me good night
a mother
to the stars
glistening in the pitch-colored sky
above my window

My silent bedroom
lets me think
of cheerful things
of sad things
of the day gone by
as
slowly
slowly
I drift off to sleep.

-Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment